EU Regulation (EC) No 1935/2004 and national provisions
In the EU, food contact materials are generally regulated under the EU Framework Regulation (EC) No 1935/2004 setting out general safety requirements for all food contact materials. In addition, specific measures have been introduced to plastics, recycled plastics, regenerated cellulose film, ceramics and active and intelligent materials at EU level.
For other types of food contact materials (i.e. coatings, adhesives, and paper) for which there is no specific EU measure, a majority of EU Member States have set their own national provisions on food contact materials and substances.
SCC pilots you through the regulations, ensuring smooth implementation. Our services include:
- Expert guidance through the hurdles of the FCM authorisation process in the EU
- Development of registration strategy and test program to be performed (incl. coordination, management and supervision of testing)
- Compilation and submission of complete registration dossiers to competent authorities in Europe (EFSA and individual nations)
- Assessment of the safety of chemicals used in the manufacture of FCM as well as of NIAS (Non Intentionally Added Substances)
- Migration calculation
- Negotiations with regulatory authorities and scientific bodies on client’s behalf
- Compliance checks of products and ingredients
- Preparation of Document of Compliance (DoC) according to Regulation (EC) No. 1935/2004