EU Regulation (EC) No 1935/2004 and national provisions
Food contact materials are materials and articles coming into direct or indierect contact with food during its production, processing, storage, preparation and serving before its consumption.
In the European Union, food contact materials are regulated under the EU Framework Regulation (EC) No 1935/2004 setting out general safety requirements for all food contact materials. In addition, specific measures have been introduced to plastics, recycled plastics, regenerated cellulose film, ceramics and active and intelligent materials at EU level. The safety of FCM is evaluated by the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA).
Other types of food contact materials which are not subject to any specific EU measure (i.e. coatings, adhesives, and paper) are regulated at national level by EU Member States's provisions.
SCC helps to ensure the compliance of your food contact materials by providing support in:
- Expert guidance through the hurdles of the FCM authorisation process in the EU
- Compliance checks of products and ingredients
- Preparation of Document of Compliance (DoC) according to Regulation (EC) No. 1935/2004
- Development of registration strategy and test program to be performed (incl. coordination, management and supervision of testing)
- Compilation and submission of complete registration dossiers to competent authorities in Europe (EFSA and individual nations)
- Assessment of the safety of chemicals used in the manufacture of FCM as well as of NIAS (Non Intentionally Added Substances)
- Migration calculation
- Negotiations with regulatory authorities and scientific bodies on client’s behalf